Whether you are gathering with family or friends or not, please allow me to help your heart be full. Your mind is already full and spinning – but we don’t have to allow our minds to dictate our hearts or your heart’s emotions.
The following are five ways to combat the craziness of life and give your heart a chance to win.
- Find a quiet spot in your house (the water closet, the garage or even a long walk to the mailbox) and reflect on God’s goodness. Fill your mind with the truth of on good God is. In spite of all the things happening in your world, be reminded of the fact that God has your best interest in mind…. No matter how it may feel.
- Reach out to a friend or family member (by text, phone, or letter) and remind them how important their friendship is to you. Ask for nothing. Have no agenda. Make no statement other than you value them for who they are and what they mean to you.
- Read Psalm 9:1 and tell someone close to you what God has done for you recently. Don’t choose someone who will think you’re nuts. Choose a person who also loves Jesus and will benefit from your words because you’re not looking for more tension – you’re looking for less.
- Send a gift (money, something simply sentimental, or bake/deliver a cake) to someone in need. Stop and consider the person in your life who needs an extra dose of care and make their day (or maybe their week).
- Stay off social media, turn the TV off and give people all your attention (even look into their eyes). Without a plan or agenda, see where it takes you. If it takes you nowhere, fine. If it leads to a significant conversation, great. No plan with no selfish exception. People used to do this a lot before the smartphone and it didn’t kill them. Try it.
Hope this helps make your holiday rich. If it helped, forward this onto some who could use it.